PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2016, 14:02
puntosaurus

dCl

I'm sorry, it must seem to you that this thread got hijacked, and in a sense it was because I thought the best way to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion was to restate the debate from the original thread.

You did a fine job of pointing out the missing bits in the original analysis, and AnFI has actually credited you with that, although you need a beady little eye to spot that in his posts. He now talks about a band of UCAs rather than a single UCA, so I think the original argument is dying if not dead.

Therefore, the absolutely fair criticism of AnFI is that his concept of UCA independent of Rrpm was absolutely technically flawed, maybe significantly (see challenge below). But a far more serious criticism is that it was actually completely irrelevant in a situation where Rrpm is largely constant. This is a frequent observation with AnFI posts as Crab points out, the pursuit of some hobbyhorse (eg. UCA, twin reliability) outside any useful context, even though there may be a nugget of truth riding on the hobbyhorse.

Challenge: If AnFi wants to go into battle about UCAs again, then there are two possibilities:

1. either his technical skills are sufficient to model the additional inflow term and throw up some numbers for max coning angles at different Rrpms, or;

2. they are not, in which case he needs to be a bit more gracious to the experts on this forum who might have those skills and ask them a favour without effectively extracting an entire lecture course in aerodynamics for free.

PS to Jellycopter's point, I don't actually think AnFI should be criticised for hypothesising about an UCA and having the courage to present his ideas to this forum, but rather for his rather grudging (it's there, but you've missed out another Rrpm term which still cancels) and dismissive (it's there, but its effect on the UCA is negligible) acknowledgement of the inflow point. If I were an expert I would say stuff you, go stew in your own juice then if that's the reward I get for trying to help. AnFi I think reads that differently, as some kind of paranoid conspiracy of experts to trying to protect their ivory tower from a plucky amateur.

Last edited by puntosaurus; 27th Oct 2016 at 16:25.