PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight diverted to YVR after passengers suffer smoke inhalation
Old 26th Oct 2016, 16:47
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by core_dump
The air is the same, but the cabin crew are given a substance that makes them hyper-sensitive to oh-so-deadly cabin fumes. The name of that substance is "union".
Originally Posted by peekay4
Could be some sort of mass hysteria event... where a couple of the cabin crew genuinely felt ill (could be due to anything, such as a real or perceived fume event) -- then the rest of the cabin crew thought they must be unwell too as they must have been similarly exposed.
I hesitate to read too much into the pilot's calm demeanor while explaining the situation to Edmonton Center. However, my first blush impression listening to the liveatc.net recordings was that there was mild skepticism on the flight deck of the need for a divert.

I've certainly seen thinly disguised 'let's make a deal' union job actions done with 'safety' as a justification. As in 'we're going to call fatigued for the next sector unless the company drops next week's trip and gives us four hours of premium pay'.