PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2016, 12:58
Danny42C

zetec2 (#9589),

Nothing inferred !
...Danny deserves all the respect for hauling those big beasts around...
Not really ! Although large and ponderous, it was docile and easy to fly, no one had any trouble with it. If the eager beavers in Oz do scrape enough bits together to remake an A-31 (Vengeance Mk I,II or III), the chap who tests it will need to expect a leisurely take-off run. Use full throttle and max rpm (should get 40 in Hg manifold and 2400 rpm), thing swings left to start with, but easily controllable with rudder/brake. Has lockable tailwheel, but if you lock it for take-off, you'll probably forget it when landing. Most folk left it unlocked all the time.

Assuming a mph ASI, use 20° flap, cowl gills full open, get tail up ASAP on the roll, so as to see where you're going. Wind it up to 90, you'll need to pull it back almost to a 3-point attitude to get it to unstick. No rush to get wheels and flaps up, let it stagger up to 2-300 ft and about 110 before cleaning up and reduce to 34 in and 2150 to climb at 120 or so. Rate of climb nothing to write home about. Just takes its time to do anything. Cruise 30 in and 1850, gives you 150-160 mph. Flies around dragging its @rse, not very pretty, and you can't see much from 1100 to 1300, get used to it.

Always have a chap in the back to wobble-pump if electrical failure puts out fuel pumps.

You have trims on all three axes, it is very stable (dihedral on outer wing sections and huge fin). Dont't try any dives until you're comfortable with it, always use dive brakes and leave the engine under a bit of power all the time so it doesn't suffer thermal shock, wing-over and start with 60-70° and build up from there. On no account pull out at less than 5,000 ft agl to start with, see when you get it level and establish your own safe height.

Circuit flying easy, below 160, 20° flap again. Select u/c down, grab a handful of tail heavy trim as you do so, nose will drop quite sharply otherwise.

Nice wide, curved finals, full flap, max rpm and full rich, bleed power off (but never fully), aim to get over the fence with 95 or so, thing will adopt three-point attitude by itself, cut power, job done.

Never try glide approaches (on account of the enormous "mush" - the VV doesn't do "glide" at all. except in the sense of "brick") until experienced. (I got away with one once, but with 150 over the trees [full bomb and almost full fuel load], we survived, but VV in bite-sized chunks).

Will do nice loop, nice barrel roll, never tried slow roll (nor did anyone else, wouldn't recommend).

That's about it. Big pussycat, really. Thought I'd better put this in writing now as I don't feel too good today, may pop clogs before they screw a flyable one together, haven't heard of an Ozzie (12 and 24 Sqn RAAF) pilot alive (at least on PPRuNe), I may be last man on earth who flew 'em.

If they resurrect an A-35 (VV Mk.IV), then they're on their own (never even saw one). Best of British ! Watch out for the Lend-Lease angle (all IVs are LL).

Danny.