PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disaster after putting an SSD into my Lenovo
Old 26th Oct 2016, 12:14
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re SSD's care needed, Me think's

I have not had any experience of installing SSD's in place of HDD's (HDD to bigger HDD yes lots) but I do remember that you need to clone the SSD to the Hard Disk.

(I plan this shortly on an other Dell (Opterion Win 8.1 PC) hobbled by an atrocious 1TB HDD).

There are certain programs [free ones] to explicitly perform this process.

However to accomplish this: some of hard disk partitions may need to be reduced in size to be accommodated on the SSD.

A few of the SSD packages come with software to perform the cloning process. If your version of Windows does perform a "System Audit" on original installation, a problem with windows validation can occur.

As a separate issue: UEFI Bios's could in theory block cloning from HDD to SSD. Any input from an experienced IT Person would be appreciated.

There are examples. Just search "Can a UEFI BIOS block cloning a HDD" without quotes.

Modern Windows Systems [and Linux] will on booting from an SSD automatically invoke "TRIM" to prevent SSD memory write wear-out.

However its a good idea to allocate the "Swap file" to a HDD partition. I know this is now disputed by many; but given my experience of using GRsync or Rsync for Windows, there can be a humongous traffic load to swap files depending on application usage vis a vis RAM fitted.

Last but not least some browsers e.g Firefox routinely snap shot their tab use to disk very frequently (Seconds) to provide recovery of tabs after a browser crash. Again heavy SSD write usage - I'm getting more details on this.

LP has beaten me to the Board ! PL are those Win installs on Linux, Virtual PC's or real Dual boot systems ?

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 26th Oct 2016 at 12:22. Reason: Le P beat me to it.