PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitness Levels ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2016, 11:32
Sandy Parts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
onceapilot - agree they have been raised (always seemed to be raised just as I got to the next bracket ) However, I was one of the lucky 'candidates' used to test the levels prior to beep-test introduction at Finningley in 92/93. The PTIs then took our max effort scores plus sustainable 'just less than max effort' and fed them back to HQ MirrorTechs. We were then told that the levels subsequently chosen were an 'introductory' measure and would be rapidly increased to levels near those we were hitting in the trials. Having then carried out the test every year for the following 20 years, I kept an eye on the levels being required. The levels used at the end of my service were still lower than those the PTIs had told us would eventually be used (and yes, I was comparing levels for my age back then with the matching age range today). As we were all racing whippets at the time (AAITC PT - sometimes twice a day), I'm not surprised our levels weren't adopted as the benchmark - it was just that we were told that levels would rise to that point rapidly and PTIs would ensure staff were fit enough to pass them. (I think they then got distracted by the 'operational fitness test; post GW1). I no longer have to worry about such triv but thought it worth pointing out that when introduced, planned future levels were going to need serious effort to pass. Don't think that was the case in the end...