Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Windoze 10 Terms

"Change of hard disk - new software required
Change of motherboard - new software required
Change of video card - possibly new software required
Change of network adapter - possibly new software required"

As G0ULI stated.

These conditions seem to be unduly restrictive. Has any one legally challenged these terms of lease ?

As the regulars on PPRuNe may know I'm an inveterate updater of ancient kit.

This week I upgraded may Dell Vostro 1310 from Vista Business to Windows 7 Pro (Legitimately of course) - There's a deadline of 31/10/2016 for the sale of Windows 7 Pro on New Machines

Google: "Windows 7 Pro Sales To End in October 2016: Warning For New PC Owners" This is an extension of an earlier deadline.

4 GB of DDR2 6400 (New £33.00 inc Delivery) and the old Seagate SATA 160 GB HDD. The Dell boots a bit quicker and the install carefully left a copy of /windows old - My old personal data. Battery has life improved from the abysmal to a meagre 3 Hours - "Balanced" settings.

Also the HDD temps have come down from the mid 40's to 35-37 Degrees C, depending on processor load.

The reason for all of this was Vista Business extended support finishes in April 2017. Win 7 Pro will hopefully receive Security patches until 2020. [Edit: Well beyond the life of the Dell]

The portable cost £660 in 2008 A fortune at the time, so I'm loathe to get rid of the standby Win PC.

Win 10 Never - In my humble opinion, Microsoft will move to charging Home Costumers an annual charge for its Operating System as a Service in the near future.

The Linux Alternative

Ubuntu 16.04 had driver problems with the Broadcomm Wireless adaptor fitted to this Laptop - I did try the fixes as per Ubuntu Help & Fix Boards

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 26th Oct 2016 at 10:48. Reason: To make better sence re Ubuntu