PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2003, 18:13
flower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All aircraft have the option of remaining inside CAS if they wish to whilst being vectored at Cardiff to do so they can route via BCN. However the requests to do so are almost unheard of. Being both vectored inbound & outbound however that requires some quite extraordinary heading changes.
Note are routes may be published but they are not SIDs and STARs which of course we cannot have because of the lack of CAS
There is a note in the published procedures it says

Part of this route lies outside Controlled airspace. Radar service may be provided by Bristol approach Control or Cardiff Approach Control as appropriate. Pilots requiring to remain within Controlled Airspace should request routing via BCN with " London Control"

Outbound the only difference is that you request the routing with Cardiff

Aircraft flying in and out of Bristol and Exeter do not have that luxury they all have to fly in unregulated airspace.

I do dislike the way this thread seems to be military against Civil. Airspace is there for all to be used and there are many units such as mine who give RAS. I have encountered maybe 2 unhelpful military pilots in my time here, maybe because we have a UHF frequency the vast majority call us up for a service . Our LARS service to is comprehensive because of our necessity to vector aircraft outside of CAS. We have very little direct communication with "D" School Yeovilton but they keep there aircraft clear of all of our civil traffic .

I am unfamiliar with the VoY scenario however surely our military aircraft have sophisticated equipment to keep them clear of transponding aircraft, or am i simply being a fool here and I'm prepared to be corrected.

Last edited by flower; 8th Aug 2003 at 19:51.