PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 8th Aug 2003, 14:58
rwm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had tq limiting problem. So go for a flight to see. Pilot is about 50ft agl. Pulls collective and rotor drops drasticaly. He keeps pulling to show me how much it will droop. At 85%rrpm I grab onto the seat for the hard landing, he finaly drops collective we fall a bit and then recover. Go back, change tcu and this time load heli with ballast. Same pilot lets his cojo fly this time. Rotor droops to 79%rrpm about 10ft agl as I'm enthusiasticaly telling the pilot that he can put it down, then the heli settles on the ground with a bit of a thump and a small dance.

Was doing flour bombing in a 172. We come in about 10ft above the lake, pull up to clear the trees, and fly tree top to a small clearing were the pilot had succesively dropped a wing 10+ times for the passenger to open the window and drop the bag of flour onto the circle. Well This time I have the window open, ready, when he drops the wing too soon, and we smack a wing. We managed to land back at the field, and inspect the plane. Big dent and some tearing to the l/e of the right wing. Still has a large branch sticking out.

Flying in a glider as a young kid, when the bimbo who was flying decided that she didn't like her approach and decided to go around. She banked so hard that the wing was a few feet off the ground. We made a 180, before we ran out of air and landed hard.

Flying in a 412 we finish the test flight, and pilot decieds it is a good time to hot dog. We chase this fox on the ground until copilot says trees! Pilot pulls up hard, copilot yells DUCKS! Pilot banks hard, and then levels out and flys home calmly. We land and spent many hours removing green from the blade tips.