PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 25th Oct 2016, 06:04
msbbarratt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanus
What is going on with EASA?

This is not joined-up governance. Some people have suggested this is curiously advantageous timing for Airbus just before Helitech week. For all our sake's let's hope the EASA decision is based more on fact than political expediency.
I've been wondering about that. When it was decided that the ECC225 could fly with one inspection per flight, I found myself questioning the mathematical basis for such a position. No reliability calculation can ever be that accurate, there must be error bars on the graph. And the thing about errors in a calculation whose answer was 1 is that you have to allow for the physical reality being < 1. Which means that you're going at some point to have 1 less landing than take off. Oh, look.

Now to me the 1 inspection per flight directive suggested that someone somewhere too important to be questioned was not performing a reliability calculation. A calculation with that result is mathematically indefensible. Had they calculated it they would have realised that and recognised the future danger (and not just to crew and passengers, their own personal reputation and career future would be at stake) inherent in such an answer.

So was someone somewhere just, well, guessing? Going on a hunch? Folding to commercial pressures and hoping for the best?

If nothing else I hope we never see such a situation arising ever again.