PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Almost a repeat of Tenerife at Shanghai!
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 16:11
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peekay, minor point regarding "punishment", at least in a Just Culture, re:
In this case, it appears that an enforcement actions will be lodged at least against ATC personnel and possibly against the A330 pilots. The form of the action could be anything, starting with mandatory remedial training.
The carrier I work for (and many carriers I know), emphasize that training outside of the recurrent process, ("remedial"), is not considered punishment, it is considered proper corrective action which, in an accountable organization is a responsible action.

We don't know what went on in the cockpit of the A330 yet, and what we think should have happened doesn't explain the incident.

Punishment is, as you know, reserved for actions which are negligent, intentionally illegal or egregious.

Not 'lecturing' here by any means, as I know you know your stuff, but clarifying for others reading this who may not be operating in a Just Culture. The difference, which should be part of any SMS Manual and supported by both the airline's owner & its management, is an important one when trying to move from a blame-and-punish culture to a Just Culture.