PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 12:55
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How they invented copper wire ....

Two Scots were fighting over a penny ....

SASless, you can put that one in the "Fiction" section here if you like, along with me trying to be helpful for once. (My role as OIC Condoms does not count.)

I found the bloke to be a good guy, and anyway, it took two or three people to replace him when he retired! That has to count for something.

On the other hand, yes, I did have to present myself to him for the close inspection of the books every Friday, answering pointed questions about petty cash; light bulbs; and toilet rolls. That was during my tenure as Acting Deputy Chief Pilot, the peak of my career. (Years later I was playing that one for laughs in the bar, saying that I had once been "Acting Chief Pilot" when the Black Sardine shot back with, "Acting Deputy Chief Pilot!" which only made us laugh all the harder.)

One day Godwin C. Jonah, proprietor of the Shell Passenger Lounge, appeared to ask for a carton of "Peak" brand condensed milk, when he scored 24 little cans and then slithered off.

Two weeks later there he was again, with a new problem: he was getting complaints from the "ogahs" about the use of powdered milk for the tea and coffee, so that he needed Peak milk. "But Godwin, you just got a case of Peak milk two weeks ago!"

"Ah! That was for the staff, Sah! We only have powdered milk for the passengers."

I told Godwin that if he did not know to use the good stuff for the passengers then there was nothing I could do to help him, and then I went back to counting light bulbs and toilet rolls.

Later on I became the Safety Officer, after my predecessor had died a horrible death in a road accident. Wasn't that fun!

That Shell guy used to go through the new terminal we were building for him in Lagos, chasing away anybody (meaning pretty much everybody) caught wearing "Nigerian safety shoes" (flip-flops) when they were meant to be wearing proper steel-toed safety boots, unbearably hot and uncomfortable under local conditions. Guess who had to sort that one out? (I think we put an early-warning system in place.)