PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Retention
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 10:55
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I left 18 months ago, with just one month's worth of "career average" on top of my APS75 pension, and, glad to say, commuted tax free gratuity. I still pine for the things I miss; operational flying, the crewroom banter and the sense of belonging. But. The RAF, IMHO, has become a very two tier employer. There are those that rise seamlessly through the ranks, where mistakes are swept under the carpet and forgiven. They cannot rationalise why anyone should leave, and cite their own rise as evidence that the system is faultless. These individuals cannot understand the other RAF where trivia, micro-management and risk aversion are increasingly the norm. I think the point is that, yes, you understand the Ts and Cs when you join and I was grateful to be given the choice over APS75/APS05. Since then the "choice" seems to have disappeared. No choice over the endless erosion of perks, the mindless trivia over travel claims and, most importantly, absolutely no choice in an imposed fundamental change of conditions with the new pensions. Those at the top already have banked substantial pension provision and couldn't give a toss, those fresh faced joiners will know no different (and it will be very interesting to see how many of this cohort serve till 40 and IPP) - yet again it is the "squeezed middle" that suffers. Their only choice is to head for the door. Unfortunately for the RAF this is where the leaders of tomorrow are formed and where the SQEP to assure everything from Operational output to Airworthiness resides. Hack them off and watch the best of them leave at your future peril........