PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indyref 2 and UK/Scottish Defence
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 10:42
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Equal partners? Not really given population sizes, GDP (albeit massively distorted in England by London) and the subsidy that England provides Scotland under the Barnett Formula. Yet more posturing from the SNP who behave, like many politicians on the Left, as if election results don't matter until they get the one they want. The SNP has had tax raising powers for years (able to change income tax by 3p up/down) but elects not to use them as it would detract from the "England is the root of all evil" narrative. I doubt very much that the average Scottish voter would be in favour of the massive hike in taxes to pay for an independent Scottish Air Force worthy of the name, especially with Oil prices so low and the English subsidy ended, on top of all the other traditional Left Wing bribes of free this and free that. Somebody has to pay for such largesse eventually - and I'm sure the EU would just love another shaky economy in the Eurozone..... Why would the rest of the UK lease bases off Scotland? Given that Faslane will get its marching orders I'd suggest that Lossiemouth would close (unless it became a US Naval facility) and the assets relocate south to areas in England requiring investment instead. Perhaps Leeming could see a return of FL activity and the possibility of taking over Mildenhall, reopening Honington for aviation and kicking the UAS world out of Wittering would free up plenty of real estate for the current and predicted Lossiemouth assets. I'd be very interested to see Sturgeons reaction if the next IndyRef was a very narrow victory - I bet she'd crack down instantly on any attempted re-vote. She constantly reminds us of her 50+ MPs, claiming that she talks for Scotland - yet, conveniently, forgets she got barely 50% of the votes in the GE and less than 50% in this year's Scottish election (and a loss of Overall Majority). Some might say she realises the SNP have hit the high water mark and if they don't push again now they'll never get another chance....