PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indyref 2 and UK/Scottish Defence
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 10:17
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Indyref 2 and UK/Scottish Defence

Well it looks like the old Scottish Independence chestnut is coming round again, Teresa May, although a remainer, seems set on a hard Brexit which is sure to insert a wild hair up Nicola's bum.

I happened to be talking to two chaps (both aviation enthusiasts, both Scots) who were all for independence, both insisted on seeing the entire issue as Scotland breaking from England. According to their logic Wales has no national separatist issue because its a Principality of England and Northern Ireland they sweepingly dismissed as another matter altogether. Scotland, they maintained was an equal partner in union with England. However, more interestingly, one noted that he doubted an independent Scotland could have its own Air Force as such. He believed they could rent places like Lossiemouth out to the RAF or NATO. Another, third chap, who struck me as a unionist, also believed that Scotland could not, if independent, have an air force of any worthy description. He maintained, though I doubt it, that the US were looking to secure Lossiemouth for themselves, had independence been secured the first time round. This I found hard to accept, the opportunity to do this surely arose following the SDSR of 2010 being revealed, it would probably have been a very welcome option by the then Government, who hadn't decided about warehousing returning troops from Germany at the time.

My own position, I'm a Scot living in England and while dubious over Brexit, am certain about Scottish Independence, I'm hard set against it!

But over to you...

FB