PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2016, 07:29
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Page 11 of today's Daily Telegraph makes satisfying reading!

As for "where are your youngsters? where are your the women?" that demonstrates a priceless, and patronising lack of aviation knowledge.

The LAA Young Eagles programme has volunteers using their own aircraft to fly as many youngsters as possible. There are hundreds of lady members of the LAA, some of whom fly some very interesting and challenging aircraft.

The membership of the LAA is mainly made up of people who either restore, fly and lovingly maintain vintage aircraft, or spend years building thier own, or people who are enthusiasts about such aircraft. Building, restoring, or maintaining such machine is far from cheap and there are very few youngsters who can afford to do that whilst buying houses, bringing up families and managing a career. The lucky few usualy get to fly mum and dad's pride and joy or get into a syndicate, and make sacrifices in other areas.

As for women; Tracy on the airport where I work is one of the biggest commercial flight training schools in the world. A stream of students walks past my office every day and many of them are women. They are future airline captains, training captains, senior airline management. Airlines don't care that they are women, they care that they achieve the standards to fly some mighty complex machinery around the world. They are not boastful about their achievements, they are bright, confident young people with an exciting career ahead of them, and they are all races and creeds, just what does your "outreach" do for them?

While I admire your ability to gain sponsorship I do hope that now you will take a little quiet time to take a good look at aviation, it is one of the least biased, most inclusive professions in the world, where ability and talent will take you to the top, where if you are involved as a hobby there are always good people willing to help. But, aviation is also very unforgiving. Lose the trust of fellow pilots and it is probably gone forever. If you intend to continue in aviation you need to earn the trust and respect of everyone in the community. Back off with how great you are, that has been proven to be wrong. Get into outreach for women in aviation, there are a few parts of the world that need it, earn an HCAP Masters Medal for that. (I would actually support you in that) Get into outreach for the disabled in aviation, there is an area that really needs funding. Just lay off with what an inspiration you are.

Edit: Your Wiki page claims you flew in the RIAT display in 2013. I flew every day in that display, I don't remember you at the daily pilots'brief, nor do I remember a green Stearman flying in the display, what did you fly and who for?

SND

Last edited by Sir Niall Dementia; 24th Oct 2016 at 07:36. Reason: A visit to Wikipedia