PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Almost a repeat of Tenerife at Shanghai!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 15:49
F-16GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noticed that the pilots of the aircraft crossing the runway was on ground frequency and therefore had no SA on the take-off clearance that was just issued on the tower frequency. This made me wonder how many pilots would actually listen in on other relevant frequencies (tower in this case) using one of the other radios on board, to gain SA on other traffic, especially when crossing runways controlled by other controllers on other frequencies.

My last experience where I wished for one more radio in my aircraft was when operating in and out of a middle eastern base where all coalition partners were using the local ground, tower and approach frequencies, while our US colleagues were operating on their own separate frequency. This was brought up several times during flight safety meetings as a severe SA degrading issue, especially since the local controllers were not very good at relaying the relevant traffic information. Therefore it would have been nice with one more radio (only have 2 in the F-16– one for ATC and one for in house between formation members) to be able to listen in and gain SA on other players in and around the field.