PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 13:34
Danny42C

Newquay Days.

Edit: Ignore irrelevant Title (can't delete).

FED (#9581),

In the same way as the French A-31 contract (with Vultee) was taken over by us when France collapsed.
We had (No.5) Squadron of Mohawks near us somewhere in Burma. No match for the "Oscar".

Don't know where they were built...........D.

zetec2 (#9587),

Flight of Fancy ! Off the top of my head, then:

Dive illustrated 70-80°. The VV (A-31), was designed for vertical dives, we did vertical dives, for in that way we got the accuracy for which the VV was famed, and the Army liked so much. (A-35 [VV Mk.IV], God knows !)

Two aircraft diving together on same target ! ("Goodnight, Nurse") - quick way to the boneyard !

(Somwhere on this Thread is an account of a Luftwaffe display for the top brass, just before invasion of Poland. Included a massed dive by Stukas. Score: 13 Stukas and 26 crew [must admit weather played a part]. Goering not amused).

Don't do it.

Why only one bomb shown dropped (presumably port wing 250) ? We always dropped all four (2x500 from the internal bay, a 250 under each wing) together, they stay in formation (line abreast) under you for a second or so till you pull out. All four should be shown, plus the extended "forks" (which throw the two 500s clear of the propellor disc).

You can see how our yellow line along top to base of screen made such an excellent gunsight (throw all your telescopic ones away).

Artist should've checked with me !

D.

sycamore (#9590),

It's a Curtis P-36 ! for Heaven's sake. Forget the "Vultee12D" ! No such thing. Vultee had nothing to do with it, AFAIK. Sub- contracting ? Wouldn't have thought so (they didn't even have the production facilities to cover their own contracts, had to sub contract to Northrop).

D.

Terri (aka Sandersondaughter) (#9591),

The most sincere and heartfelt condolences from Danny and Dannysdaughter. My beloved wife (of 61 years) died two months ago. We know how you are suffering - there is nothing we can say that will be of any help.
...His funeral takes place on 31st October at 1.15 pm - you may like to think of him and his comrades at this time...
I believe I speak for all PPRuNers: Yes, we will !

Dennis (aka Danny42C)

DCF (#9592),

Had enough trouble sorting the Camden Museum specimen out (only VV in tne world !) Let sleeping dogs lie ! (better yet, get 'em on PPRuNe Forums [where they might learn something] or BHARAT RAKSHAK, for the IAF angle).

Cheers to all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 25th Oct 2016 at 17:10. Reason: Disregard irrelevant Title. and Typo.