PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot career related degree and appropriate college and/or university
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 07:09
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Other good strings to the bow include second languages - and I'm not talking Aviation Spanish or French (for example) but the proper stuff - spoken is OK, no need for writing.

As mentioned above, weird qualifications can be good - for example, I got hired in one company not because of my type ratings, but because I could write ops manuals.

With reference to degrees, a thought comes to mind that is not often mentioned - I have never needed mine for flying as such, or even to get a job (heck, Alton Towers never even looked at my licences and log books), but they have been useful when handling passengers (typically surveyors) who won't listen unless you have one (we're talking bush flying here - airlines are not the only game in town). In fact, they wash their hands after speaking to you!

A discreet mention of a Ph D on the business card tends to trump them all

Given the vast shortage of truck drivers at the moment, I would suggest an HGV would be a good investment as a back up.