PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Japan lifestyle and Japanese contracts
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2003, 04:46
JALD10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan Contracts/Japanese Lifestyles

I just wanted to add a few things to this post. What a great discussion. I have been with JAL for 7 years now and I am employed through a crew contract company. My experiences have been top notch. There have been awkward moments and huge cultural shocks but as every flight pattern went by I became more intune with the Japanese way. I have co workers who have a very miserable time in Japan and it is usually due to their refusing to respect local cusoms and procedures. Respect the Japanese and they will respect you. If you guys really want to know what it is like to live and fly in Osaka then try and get a hold of some JEX (Jal express expats) B737 guys(PARC/HACS/IASCO). They have been operating out of ITM for over 4 years. As far as allowances goes for travel to/from the airport, it has been my experince and those of the other airlines in Japan that you will call a taxi and either sign for it or have a company voucher. Same goes for drop off after a flight. I believe this contract in question is through HACS. If it is, your contract will be honored to the T. Mine has for the last 7 years!
There are a few non Japanese who work for JAL/ANA who don't speak Japanes. They are usually in training jobs in addition to flying the line. ( The Japanese need a little help training Giajin).
Finally I want to reiterate that Japan and a Japanese airline can be rewarding and fun if you have the right mind set, tolerence and patience. If you are stubborn, unhappy, and unwilling to accept and try to understand your Japanese hosts you will be miserable and will count your days.

Cheers