PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whopee! Medals for all!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2016, 09:03
Nugget90

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts
Onceapilot suggested in post 199 that anyone keen to see the LS Medal made official for retired officers should write to the Defence Secretary, etc.

Well, I did just that in June 2015, addressing my three letters to the Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans, the Minister of State for the Armed Forces, and the Secretary of State for Defence. The texts were essentially similar, but an example (to my local MP) included:

As a courtesy, I should like you to know that I have written to the Rt Hon Michael Fallon MP, Secretary of State for Defence, on my understanding that the new Long Service Medal he announced on the 26th of March 2015 may not be awarded retrospectively to those who have served a minimum of 15 years in the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom.

Writing this letter is not about qualifying for another medal, but for deserving just one medal from a Nation that I hope is grateful for the long service in the Armed Forces that many of us have delivered in former years. My letter to the Secretary of State is an attempt to suggest how it might profit the Government to look with sympathy upon addressing what could otherwise become a potentially anomalous situation.

I do hope that you will do whatever you can to support my plea that those of us who served our Monarch in earlier years may at last obtain recognition of that service, even though administering that award may be spread over several months in order to reduce the impact on what I acknowledge are extremely tight budgets."

All three letters were then forwarded to the Minister of State for Defence, the Rt Hon Earl Howe PC, who sent a reply in which he explained that the LSM was intended to be a medal for the modern era, "which reflects the commitment we expect from the Armed Forces today. There are no plans to make it a retrospective award."

I replied with a statement rather than a further question, acknowledging that, "The UK Government was to be applauded for addressing the anomalous situation that has existed hitherto in which Armed Forces personnel of all ranks who have served qualifying periods in the Volunteer Reserves, Cadet Forces, Royal Observer Corps and other part-time units have been able to claim long service medals whereas within the Regular Army, Navy and Air Force such recognition has been denied to those who have held the Queen's Commission without prior service in a non-commissioned capacity. The new LSM will be a visible and tangible indication of the Government's regard for the professionalism, courage and contribution over extended periods by those who serve and have served in the Regular Armed Forces, and as such will be highly regarded.

To this end, it cannot be right that contributions made by former commissioned officers who have provided long service in the Regular Armed Forces during Her Majesty's reign could be held as less deserving of merit and recognition than those who today have served for 15 and more years. If retrospective application of the new LSM is not prescribed, comparisons such as this will be made, and many who have served faithfully for long periods in earlier years will feel that their service counted for little and, despite the rhetoric, is not in fact highly regarded. With the greatest respect, I would be most grateful if you were to convey these sentiments to the officials who are currently working on the criteria for the award."

The reason why I put pen to paper on this issue is that I would cherish medallic recognition for having served for more than 15 years as a Regular Service officer throughout the 1960s and 70s (20 years actually), and retired without a medal. Why does it matter to me? At one level, because I was proud to serve in the Royal Air Force and would like to be able to display that pride at events such as the annual Remembrance Service. At another level, because at this Service, in a packed congregation in my local church, there are maybe only two or three persons wearing medals: two of us wearing those earned by our fathers in the two World Wars, and one a GSM he earned in Cyprus. I fear that unless more medals can be seen, our new generations will increasingly lose touch with the symbolism that serves to bring home the service and commitment of the Armed Forces whose physical presence is increasingly less evident amongst rural populations: "Lest we forget".

Many of those of you who have read thus far may already have earned a medal, possibly the Queen's Gold and/or Diamond Jubilee medals (which inter alia required at least 5 years' service), so might not have the same perspective on this matter as those of us who have none. I was serving during the Queen's Silver Jubilee and, like many around me, was pleased to learn that a medal was to be struck, to be awarded to the Armed Forces, but hugely disappointed when it became apparent that this was limited to only a very small minority.

I think that as the months pass, there could be more than a few voices (hopefully some VSOs) asking the Government to think again about retrospective granting of the LSM to retired Regular Service officers - maybe only to those who qualify and wish to receive it (for quite possibly many won't be interested). Now in my mid 70s, I would like to think that one day, the LSM/LS&GCM will be awarded to all regular Service officers who satisfy amended qualification criteria.

This Poppy Day I will be at Waterloo Station collecting for the RBL, and wearing - with pride - my late father's impressive collection of WWII medals.