PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2016, 02:27
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Satco...
Searching for TCT reveals hundreds of results but a narrow search can reveal more. e.g this report states she was in Santa Monica 11th May 2016
That was the day the tv station aired the report. I suspect recorded a day earlier?

What puzzles me is what was she doing in Winslow? There is nothing there apart from inhospitable landscape.

Flagstaff is a GA airport nearby and has a much longer runway than Winslow.

They had spent the day filming in the Grand Canyon.

The pilot added that earlier in the day, they had flown three flights, totaling about 5 hours of flight time. The flights included uneventful takeoffs from two airports with a higher density altitude.
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...16LA106&akey=1

Which airports are they? Dare I suggest Grand Canyon National Park (6608amsl) and Flagstaff (7014 amsl)

11th May
Stunning scenery as we fly past the #GrandCanyon and push on East today to #Mesa #Phoenix #Arizona Boeing Company #AdventureisGREAT#USA2016
Surely from the Grand Canyon to Mesa she would be flying south west?

This was the day of the accident.

On May 11, 2016, about 1710 mountain standard time, a Boeing B75N1, N56200, was substantially damaged during a forced landing following a partial loss of engine power during takeoff initial climb at the Winslow-Lindbergh Regional Airport (INW), Winslow, Arizona. The airplane was registered to 3G Classic Aviation LLC., and operated by the pilot under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. The private pilot and her passenger were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight. The cross-country flight was originating at the time of the accident with an intended destination of Phoenix, Arizona.
I can only assume it was a fuel stop after filming in or around the Grand Canyon.

On departure it was a short flight at the end of the day and they must have been planning to night stop in Phoenix? It appears flights were not always to the next point on the route but for additional air to air work.

By her own admission in many reports the Spirit of Artemis was often flown very low for dramatic effect on the film they were making.

Could this accident have been caused during such low level air to air work?

This was late afternoon on what according to the report had been a very busy day and after five hours flying the pilot must have felt tired.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 22nd Oct 2016 at 03:26.