PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Not In My Lane!"
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2016, 18:25
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
SAS, there was also the following paragraph:

"He banked at an angle of 70 degrees, 10 degrees over the recommended limit, causing a stall that he couldn't recover from. The helicopter crashed into some trees before splitting in two, instantly killing the two pilots and two aircrew inside, according to the investigation. "

I'm guessing you didn't mention that because there is already enough " comment " re blade stall in the Nick L thread.

But it might be worth adding some history. Prior to delivery of the first production UH-60A's, in fact well prior ( see below ), the US Army Flight Standards Chief, Charlie Crawford directed that we modify the standard Flight Loads Survey test plan to include getting data at bank angles up to 120 degrees. So we did. For the fly-off competition with Boeing, we were both required to write an Operators Manual, along existing Army format at the time, for the ships that would be flown for the fly-off. In Chapter 7, Operating Limitations, there was/is* Fig 7-8A Angle of bank vs indicated airspeed chart, and it clears those pilots to a max bank angle of 90 degrees ( 30 degree margin ).
*That's the only Hawk manual I still own.
Uh-oh.