PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2016, 12:08
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1)Could anyone give me an insight to the current success rate in landing a job as an FO here? I am willing to work hard, follow the rules and adapt to the local culture. I am aware this is a first generation glass cockpit and would need some getting used to coming from speed and altitude tapes.

Given the fact that you are already used to the Asian style training, I would say that your chances are higher than average....., it's not difficult really, you just have to learn to play their game. That's all really.

2)(Touchy question) I am a Singaporean of Chinese descendent, (english is my first language). Would this be an issue in terms of discrimination as going through the first 60 pages of this thread , I understand there aren't many(or none) crew here from south east asia. The purpose of my question is just to understand the culture and will everyone be given a fair shot.

We are a very diverse pilot group and although I've seen some folks being given a harder time than others, it seems to be personality driven and not due to ethnicity....., If you have the right attitude they seem to bend over backwards to try and help you......! Even with their rule of two shots only at command, we have a couple of cases where guys didn't make their upgrade evaluation twice but because they are such nice people (strangely enough, that's mostly the reason why they didn't pass their evaluation in the first place, it wasn't their flying, it was their passiveness and lack of command assertion) one of them is already a captain and I heard that the other will start his command evaluation again...., good for them! I really haven't seen anything in my time here that tells me that you will be given a harder time because of your ethnic background.

3)There was a part of the thread that mentions about almost every other guy on the upgrade program failing. Is the failure rate still high? Understand it's about 5 years to being offered an upgrade.

It's running at about 50% or so and the evaluation start around year 4.

Ps: Saw the press release that the A380s will be taking over the HNL runs come 2019... ):

The expansion rate of the universe and solar flares have more to do with the AJX pilot group than this...., literally!