PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC programme "Skywatch" circa 1974
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2016, 22:47
ExRAFbod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was part of the crew who built those vehicle targets. Was also sent by O.C. Strike to Netheravon with a chit that said; "Bring back anyhing that will burn and put it into those 'convoys'. Contaminated AVTUR, Petrol, Diesel et cetera was 'donated' by POL Flight and returned by 32-seater coach to the target area. That's why the coach burned so well after it was struck by the Jaguar's strafing run (I think).

Lots of vehicle spare parts got 'liberated' from the target vehicles before being shot up. One very polite S/Ldr asked me if there was any chance of an 1800 Alternator and perhaps a spare battery. He was indeed, obliged and quite happy afterwards with his 'souvenirs'.

It was a chore to have to defend the convoys for a night or two from marauding bands of romanies waiting in the wings to strip the remainder of the spoils.

After the detatchment to Larkhill was over, the trip back to base was doubly difficult as the two three-tonners and L/Rover we had, were crammed with 'collectibles'. The chaps didn't have to buy petrol for their vehicles for many months thereafter. Spare tyres and batteries were never a problem either.

I well remember being in the FAC Position and very close to the Vulcan Target such that it rained large chunks of Larkhill on us after the string of 21 two-thousand pounders went off consecutively.
My fillings are still rattling from that episode.

A couple of pongo officers were saved from eternal perdition by an airman from our unit after they went to sleep under their armoured car that, unnoticed, had begun to settle into the hillside.
A stupid sense of machismo almost did them in.

Halcyon days.