PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brake temps hot on downwind side.
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2016, 11:28
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know about the A320.

In the 1980's the runway at Nauru was 5600 feet long with no over-run areas. Depending very much on pilot technique (some were lead-footed) the brakes on the 737-200 could get quite hot after landing.

After parking on the small tarmac on Nauru and with parking brake released we would note the wind direction and with the APU running one aircon pack, we would turn off the pack that was downwind. The air exiting the two air conditioning packs was very hot and bathed the wheels.

The downwind pack, if left on, would have its efflux flowing around the nearest main wheel. This had the effect of bathing the brakes on that wheel with hot air.
So we figured we should turn that pack off and use the other pack which had its hot air outlet further away from a main wheel. Sounds complicated and I am not explaining it very well.
After 15 minutes or so, there was a distinct difference in brake temperature between the two sets of main wheels as they cooled down.

Later I read somewhere in a Boeing document that this procedure was recommended by Boeing as part of brake cooling on the ground.