PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police seize plane in Taunton town centre
Old 19th Oct 2016, 20:10
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Some years ago that chap flew into our airfield in his disreputable Cub. It was misfiring badly on arrival.

We wheeled it into our maintenance hangar since the weather was scheduled to get rough that night - he'd made no plans, asked no permission, seemed to have no idea what the weather was going to do. Our resident maintainer had a close look at the aircraft and walked away, having seen so many discrepancies and non-airworthy elements that he felt it best not to touch the beast or be anywhere near it. He advised several of us to be careful not to sign anything or help directly with any attempted remedial work, just in case it all went wrong and the CAA or AAIB got involved. The next day Mr Kirk was loaned some tools, with which he made some desultory pokings around.

After that he climbed in, listened to the engine misfiring heavily and then flew off anyway. He disappeared smoking slightly, just clearing the hills near our field.

My overall impression; someone who was not in any way a good advert for aviation. He appeared to think he knew it all, listened to no-one and was happy with whatever he could cadge. I strongly suspect the police knew he'd have no car insurance - part of his 'rebellion' against society.

Not clever behaviour in my view.