PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I pass a Class 1 medical?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2016, 18:26
paistepst5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I pass a Class 1 medical?

Hi everyone. Before I say anything, I'd like to thank everyone who has viewed this thread and an extra thank you to any replies as I am very confused about my situation.

I am 19 years old, living in Essex in England and currently working full time in a petrol station having finished all of my studies. I have wanted to be a pilot for many, many years. Getting the money for the training isn't my main problem though, it is whether i'm likely to pass a Class 1 medical. I suffer from depression and anxiety but I am on medication for it. I was on my first tablets for a year and have recently changed over to one that is supposed to be more effective, so I am currently in the stages of finding the correct dosage to be on.

I was also in a car crash two and a half years ago which has left me with constant back and neck pain. At first, all the medical experts concluded that I had ripped all the muscles in my neck and back and that in time I would be fine. However, since then some other medical experts have said that I may have disc degenerative disease in my neck and back. As I write this I am on two tablets as my back muscles have gone into spasm and have been as such for over a week and I've been told they will take a month at least to relax.

Assuming that my medication for my depression and anxiety is sorted in time, and I therefore end up symptom free, would I be able to pass a class 1 medical? Would having a spine degenerative disease stop me from being able to be a pilot, even with the appropriate medication for the pain and inflammation associated with it? And what if I don't have such a disease but instead have weak muscles from the accident that constantly rip, causing the pain I have. Would that stop me from being able to pass a class 1 medical?

I know it seems that i'm rabbiting on, but I just feel totally heartbroken and down over the events that have unfolded before me with my health and I am so passionate to be able to be a pilot but it feels like my health might be stopping me, hence why I am asking for the opinions of others.