PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 FMA landing capability
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2016, 18:19
Lantirn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldenrivett
Since the final approach technically starts at 1,000 ft agl. (i.e. You may continue down ILS towards 1,000 ft anticipating that you will complete any ECAM etc.)
e.g. We may continue the ILS down towards 1,000 ft if the reported RVRs are fluctuating up and down and occasionally below minima. We may then only continue the ILS beyond 1,000 ft provided the RVRs received were at or above minima. RVRs received after we passed 1,000 ft are for information only (crew awareness) and we may continue the ILS.

Similarly if the ISIS was noticed to have failed before the 1,000 ft point then we could only do CAT I. However we are not expected to check the ISIS below 1,000 ft.
This is the one side of the coin.
If you are conducting a CATIIIb NO DH and the RVR falls below minimums, you have to go-around and ignore the approach ban. With this in mind you are not legal to land if the ISIS fails, it is a required equipment.

With same mentality, in the same scenario you get a nosewheel steering fault, below alert height. It is supposed that the landing capability is unchanged. No Autoland warning light. Food for thought.

BUT,

Thinking about failed or downgraded ground equipment, something fails below 1000ft, the approach can be continued, it is commanders discretion. Now with this in mind-set, you can ignore and land. However, it's not written. Maybe it's not your day and something happens...

I think here airmanship is the key. What are other options. Where is the weather. Other problems? How about your fuel...etc.