PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2016, 09:13
ATNotts

Received 307 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by bhx bod
That's not a bad shout ATNotts.
However my concern would be for those pax transferring onto flights from DEL.
More and more people are using this service as a transfer point not just to other Indian destinations,but also to other points in Asia and beyond.
If we only have Amritsar direct,then are AI going to guarantee a number of seats on the DEL service for those wishing to either stay in DEL or transfer to another flight from the BHX end.
If memory serves,not that many passengers used the flight to get to YYZ from BHX,but very often it was full going back to DEL,which included pax joining the service at BHX.
My point is,I am not sure there is sufficient demand for 2 daily flights to DEL from BHX,let alone YYZ.I know there will be demand from India to Canada,it is a case of what seats are going to be made available to and from BHX in both directions,if that makes sense.
Thinking laterally, were ATQ to operate as a stand-alone service, then perhaps AI could use BHX as a hub for passengers from ATQ wishing to connect onward to YYZ - with arrivals from DEL and ATQ timed to offer a fairly painless connection.

Obviously this raises a number of questions. First, could the terminal and transit area cope? Second, are AI reliable enough from a timekeeping perspective to make it a viable option? Third, what are the visa requirements for Indian passengers transiting UK?

With regard to No.3, you wouldn't pick up many passengers from ATQ transferring at BHX if they had to clear immigration, and thus have to have a UK and Canadian visa - a la the USA with PAX transfering at Miami onward to South America.

In the scenario I have suggested, I would imagine DEL-BHX-YYZ would be a 777, and ATQ-BHX a 788.

Nothing like a bit of kite-flying!!