PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From zero to CPL and FI: Cost in UK (Merged)
Old 19th Oct 2016, 01:42
HU300CBI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi There,

I've recently completed CPL ME IR (2015). The best advice I would give you if you are set on doing it is go to the US, it is MUCH cheaper. Do an FAA licence and then convert to EASA. Also find a school that will give you a visa you can work in the US for a year and get some hours.

If you do an ME IR in the UK it will cost around GBP50,000+, however if you convert an FAA SE IR the cost is around GPB 30,000 as you only need to do a conversation, multi engine type rating and some hours refining your skills. I believe you can also do the FAA SE IR as part of your hours building so the only additional cost is a few more hours instruction.

When you've done the above if you want to stand a decent chance of finding work you need to factor in an FI ticket.

Do all that in the UK and you're looking at around GBP120,000 (excluding travel, accommodation opportunity cost of not working etc.), talk to a good accountant about claiming VAT back - it is possible and legal. Do it in the US (once the sterling recovers) and you'll save about 35% on that.

Honestly though, as fohnwind has said, there are almost no rotary jobs at the moment and a rapidly expanding fixed wing market......

Feel free to PM me.

Good luck