PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2016, 09:45
Danny42C

The things you learn on this Thread ! Spent nearly four years in India/Burma in WWII, and never knew there were any RAF Regt out there at all - until now. Even when I left UK in '42, we vaguely thought that the Regt manned Bofors guns at major airfields, but that was all.

But when it came to the hand to hand stuff, we were 'on our own'. The story was that, when it was first mooted that that airfields should be protected by the Army against paratroop attack, Churchill exploded: "Send one lot of able-bodied men to defend another lot of able-bodied men ? I think not !

So we had Station Defence Days (and Nights). One Day I particularly remember, at Hullavington, I was slithering about on the wet grass chucking half-bricks (pretend grenades) at a Bren gun carrier (pretend tank), when I suffered a grievous loss. My favourite of all time fountain pen (2/3d and two "Typhoo Tips" box tops - and for that you got a 14k gold nib) must have slipped out of my battledress blouse pocket, never found it.

Later, at OTU at Hawarden, they did not want to interrupt the flying programme, so we had a Night one. Somewhere on my earlier Posts, I tell the tale of a miserable little group of LACs in the middle of the night, shivering in their groundsheets from the pelting rain, manning their Post (what with ? - not even pick-helves) against (what ?)

Couldn't desert your Post (Orderly Officer came round in his van every hour or so to check), even if you could, couldn't get back to your billet (S.P.s posted). Found shelter in a newly assembled "Wellington", parked nearby on the grass (which is why I know that some had a crew door half way back on the port side - and a nice little canvas bunk inside).

Must've called it off at first light, so that the studes could get some kip before climbing into their Spits next morning. Charging with fixed bayonets (what were they ?) on the end of rifles (never had any). Not this child !

Which leads to another story....

Danny.