PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot career related degree and appropriate college and/or university
Old 18th Oct 2016, 09:14
MaverickPrime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Genghis is right here. I have a honours degreee, but it's not worth much other than being able to say I have a degree!

In the U.K. at least, a degree will not get you much more than an interview unless it is a 'proper' degree i.e. medicine, accountancy, engineering. But, as already stated those types of degrees have a shelf life.

If I could do it all again, take note of my age when I say this, I would not have went to uni. I could have worked for a few years to help pay for my flight training. However, I now have £19,700 in student debt from uni, something the student loans company will take me to the cleaners for when I reappear on the HMRC database, especially by the time I earn a captains salary.

When your son is a pilot, provided he's modest with his income and has LOL, he should have enough financial 'backup' to help him get back on his feet should the worst happen and he loses his job. That sounds a bit flippant, but hey that's life!

Last edited by MaverickPrime; 18th Oct 2016 at 09:18. Reason: Having great fun trying to spell this morning!