PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320? gardening in the stopway
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2003, 21:27
TogaLock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Airbus brakes do work well, both autobrake and manual. I doubt that a reverser problem or a loss of the autobrake would result in the landing distance mentioned here.

Let's remember that Airbus's can surprise anyone at any time. The number of computers that have to agree for things to work as advertised is beyond the every day understanding of any pilot. It is for that reason we continue to see OEB's. Let's not forget that at one time there was an OEB on braking, basically giving guidance on how to arm the autobrakes in order to prevent a TOTAL loss of normal braking. It went something like: hold your breath and cross your toes while you count to 3 when arming the autobrake, but if it was a Thursday in December then make sure you use your left hand.... At least that was how I rememberd it.

Perhaps there were several factors in this case, but I'm sure all parties are interested to know what led to the stopping difficulties. But the fact remains: the airplane stopped on the runway with no damage or injuries. Not really the type of thing that would normally draw attention. Me thinks it was a slow day in the newsrooms.