PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Autumn 2014
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2016, 23:48
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate most asking are in the left seat but as an FO having worked for both FR and Jet2 (in that order) I have to say there was an absolutely massive quality of life increase when I moved. I am paid better and FAR more consistently than I was in FR (due to being employed and salaried). I am at home every single night instead of being moved around bases as they see fit (I believe this is done slightly less now). I get my uniform, licence, LOL, pension, medicals, travel and hotac paid for and organised (don't underestimate this, as a commuter in FR I spent far too much of my time off planning an itinerary). In return for all this, I personally find the place much happier, there is less bitching (it still happen as I am sure it does everywhere, but its not 24/7), I can actually get a hold of crewing, rostering etc and have met many of the post holders or managements pilots and had a good time in the pub with a lot of them.

I very occasionally miss the 5/4 pattern roster, but at least I am home every night and not commuting, and at the minute most of the month is filled with standbys which I personally treat almost as days off - true I can't drink during them but I can go about my day as I want pretty much.

I also don't have to take a forced month off unpaid, I have much much more leave (more than 3x as much) with a system that works for me.

I also don't spend a large amount of time worrying about dodgy tax arrangements and trying to follow what the accountant I was forced to use is doing with my money and whether or not it is actually legal (any FR contractor probably knows what I mean).

For hard figures, I took a 6 sample period of January to July (to try to include a mix of seasons). I should also point out this didn't include my unpaid month off in FR.

Normal UK PAYE tax in Jet2.
Still paying type rating expense in FR therefore paying less tax than normal.

My average net pay in Jet2 was £3920 GBP
My average net pay in FR was €3030 EUR

I had more duty days (ie. standby) in Jet2 but ~half as many hours flown. I also had much less personal expenditure.

Hope these numbers are useful to someone.