PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad for flying
Thread: iPad for flying
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2016, 19:25
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
But seriously, flying in small aircraft should not be a gadget arms race. I can not see the additional pleasure gained in having to check version numbers of downloads, database validity dates, charge states and manufacturers' notices before comparing my GPS maps with the official 1/2 mil. charts. And then typing in waypoints, checking for airspace infringements and then doing all the things you have to do anyway.
Piltdown, are you telling us that you check the chart changes and annotate your CAA chart before every flight (for a year, till the next one is published)? If so, you are the only pilot I've ever heard of having the time to do so without fail.

Aviation applications now in common use do it for you. I've just switched on my mini Ipad and entered a pre-planned a route via Skydemon. Before it let me in it told me there were updated charts available and it has just downloaded them for me (UK, France, Ireland). It does so on a very regular basis and takes a few seconds; faster than I could access the CAA website to even begin looking for their latest chart changes, let alone start looking up lat/longs and plotting them.

Flying at ultra low level and putting troops on the ground within a 15 second "window" and teaching others how to do it used to be my "bread and butter" job, for almost twenty years. All done in the very early part of my career without GPS or Navaids of any sort. So I know how to do it as well as anyone. But it was almost half a century ago, ancient technology, all in the past. We progress and move on. The aircraft I fly now has twin GPS, terrain warning, TCAS. I plan my flights on the ground using an Ipad and Google Earth to find waypoint and landing site co-ordinates then fly using the chart portrayed on the aircraft's GPS units. Obviously, pilots need to know how to navigate using a chart and stop watch. But on every flight? Not these days. As the military still say "Why practice bleeding?"