PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta crew refused to believe black woman was a doctor during emergency
Old 17th Oct 2016, 19:17
desertmedic322

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a Flight Paramedic

As a long time lurker I've registered solely to speak on this matter. My particular subspecialty is CSAR, and have been a Certified Flight Paramedic in the US for many years. Have provided assistance on more than one flight as I often work out of the country. 2 incidents come to mind:

1st: Page for medical providers, respond with the call button. Am asked for my credentials and proof. After provided locate gentleman who needed assistance while having a heart attack. Individual was a senior cardiologist at a major US University Hospital. After he briefly passed out and I carried him to the galley, and requested additional assistance, several physicians came. All had specialties completely unrelated, when they asked what my specialty was I stated emergency medicine. The cardiologist/patient pulled me close and said "if you tell them you aren't a dr and let them take over I will sue you." Emergency diversion somewhere in the North Atlantic and I won't disclose further for patient confidentiality. US carrier.

2nd: Same call for medical providers, respond with call button as requested. Elderly female with pre-existing cardiac issue. Bottom line nobody told her how to adjust her oxygen for the decreased cabin altitude. After requesting FA to obtain current and expected cabin altitude from the flight deck I ran the calculations and turned her O2 up to accommodate cruise cabin altitude, her symptoms resolved and flight was continued to destination. Oh yeah, they asked for my credentials and proof before I was taken to the patient. ME carrier.

In both cases the airlines "online medical control" was contacted, provided with my thoughts, and concurred.

Please do not take this as anything saying I'm any better than average at what I do. My point is both times I was asked my licensure level and specialty, along with a request for proof. Particularly in the lawsuit happy United States (I'm American) not asking for evidence of actual medical licensure could cause some massive problems, never mind possibly kill someone in need of legitimate emergency care.

Maybe there is something missing but failing to follow instructions (push call button) and taking issue with being asked for proof of being a medical provider does not strike me as racist. But then I'm just a man "of color" if that is how one wants to describe a "minority" such as myself.

Last edited by desertmedic322; 17th Oct 2016 at 19:44.