PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd things seen on the train
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2016, 16:35
Bigbux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddest thing I've seen on a train was in 2009. Having been out for a few years during a buoyant time for business I had purchased a first class season ticket for BeardRail. The previous week, I had "accidentally" flashed said first class season ticket in front of an old friend who had just made SO1. His response was to decant my precious ticket into an RAF issue plastic rail wallet holder - neatly emblazoned with a smart looking roundel.

So, I was sitting in first class, minding my own business on Mr Branson's finest, season ticket ready for inspection on the table in front of me, when Bob Ainsworth (then Labour Minister for Defence) pours himself into the seat opposite and opens a briefcase stuffed full of pink files. All in full view of myself and anyone else who cared to happen by.

He glances at me, directing his eyes to the visible roundel on my pass and then back at me, before getting up and going to the next carriage to help himself to free crisps and nutty. In front of me, in all its glory is a SECRET file on the expansion of the TA. Bob returns, and in-between mouthfuls of crisps answers a phone call, the subject of which quite obviously concerns plans to cut Army regular numbers, but most importantly, to hide this until after the looming election.

We arrive at my stop, where on passing Bob, I tap the top file in his briefcase with my finger. The case lid is slammed shut immediately, a look of ruddy consternation on Bob's face.

I met my friend a week later and told him the tale, whereupon he informed me that as part of the on-going savings measures, all senior officers had just been forbidden from travelling first class.

I almost choked on my latte.