PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Almost a repeat of Tenerife at Shanghai!
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2016, 15:14
Bedder believeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago - 1971 to be exact I was a student controller in Sydney tower when the following incident/accident took place: https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19710129-1. between a TAA (Trans Australian Airlines) B727-100 and a Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA) DC-8 62 occurred. Many years later (around 2010 I think) I was the Aerodrome Controller for RWY 07R at Hong Kong (CLK) International airport. I had just cleared an A330 for take-off from twy J1 and as the departing aircraft started it's takeoff roll, an inbound freighter B747 on TWY J5 was approaching the RWY J5 holding point at speed. Simultaneously the crosser called me and I said "Confirm holding short of RWY 07R" (as he Crossed the stop bar). My next transmission was to the now rolling A330, "Stop immediately, I say again Hold position". The A330 then had to vacate via J4 and taxi back to terminal due brake temps. As an extra result, the 8 odd aircraft awaiting departure on TWY's J and H were each delayed whilst a RWY inspection took place. So what can I say, but as a tower instructor for many years in HK, I endeavored to stress to my students to "look out the window"....I wonder how many do?
PS if my link to TAA/CPA doesn't work, you may like to Google the event. It's well worthwhile.Bedder believe me