PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security at boarding on BA
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2003, 20:04
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual we have the hyped up wails of those who do not quite understand the system and how it works unable to realise the difference between security and administration. It matters not one iota if someone boards an aircraft with an out of date passport or the wrong ticket stub but whether it was intentional and if so, was there an ulterior motive to commit an act that could harm the other passengers, crew, aircraft or whatever.

You can get on any aircraft with a loaded gun if you like but if there is no intent to use the weapon then it really doesn't matter except to show that there was a lapse in security checks somewhere. However, if you manage to get on board armed only with a hefty bottle of duty free alcohol and your intent is to commit an act of piracy then it becomes an issue.

Without proper, non-PC passenger profiling and I don't mean the often trotted out "did you pack your bags yourself or did anyone give you anything to carry for them?" you don't have proper security. With all the fuss being made about the visible searches with indiscriminate removal of hair pins etc, the authorities fail to provide the necessary level of security and would rather spend all their money on limited means which appear to the travelling public as though they have actually done something but in reality can be easily outmanouvered by anyone determined enough to try.

The original post in this thread is slightly misleading. The pax did have a ticket and was named on the manifest. Just because the wrong portion of the ticket may have been used is not really a security issue as there was obviously no intent to mislead and no intent to do harm to anyone. It is a huge step from a journalist proving how futile security is in some areas by smuggling a fake gun or a concealed knife on board a parked aircraft or even an actual flight and then actually using said concealed weapon to try to take over the aircraft.

I would worry more about someone who should not be in this country getting in without any identity checks who then intends to recruit or incite others to perform acts of terrorism. As an example, and I hope someone from either BAA or other responsible authorities get in touch with me abot this, earlier this week I and others managed to arrive on an international flight into Terminal 3 at LHR and then got to board a domestic flight at Terminal 1 with no immigration or customs checks whatsoever between disembarking at T3 and leaving the Terminal at my domestic destination. Apart from a security check which involved showing a valid ticket and X-raying hand baggage, no other form of check was required and that included inspection of passport. As far as I am concerned, it is possible for someone to arrive from outside the UK or EU who may not want it to be known they are in this country and are able to do so with ease and impunity. I won't give the details on here but sufice it to know that I doubt it is a loophole that isn't known about amongst those that are likely to exploit it.