PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vapour Trails and Greenhouse Gas
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2003, 19:48
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr.....most interesting. But may I say a little simplistic? <<The Earth receives energy from the sun in the form of shortwave radiation. It re-emits it in the form of long wave radiation. For constant temperature the amount coming in must equal the amount going out.>>....this is quite ignoring the heat energy within the earth, and how much is leaking to the surface. We all know it's pretty hot down there. The thing is, the earth is not constant, Ice Ages come and go, everything cycles. As I see it, all the alleged pollution mankind produces is but a mere trifle compared to a resounding 'burp' from a damn good volcano- the sort of volcano Mamma used to make- a Mt. St. Helens or Pinatubo or Montserrat. If the world is global warming, it's doing it anyway- we really are not that influential. I'm told simultaneously I am causing global warming for which I will get zapped with a new Ice Age, and yes- I'll get stuffed when the Poles change around and then where will my compasses be? I hope I will be in Cyprus enjoying a bit of global warming for the next 50 years!
I have gone from being a member of Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace to totally regarding such organisations as 'political' and cynically against anything to do with 'progress'. We are not going to save the Earth by preventing a motorway being built- forcing people out of cars onto disgusting UK public transport will achieve nothing (they will pay whatever it takes to avoid such a fate). Concorde harms nothing.