PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2016, 11:55
212man

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by dClbydalpha
Sincerely, AnFI your fundamental premise relies on Lift being proportional to RRPM squared and only to RRPM squared so that you can "cancel" it out. I've posted for you the simplest equation, based on BET, for lift on an individual blade. In calculating α you need RRPM, if you choose to dismiss α as a second order effect when calculating CL then that neatly sums up my concern with your approach.

Rotor design is fascinating because each section along the blade radius is experiencing significantly different conditions due to rotor speed, then each blade experiences significantly different conditions each cyclical rotation. The lift of each blade not only contributes collectively to the total lift, but individually has to cyclically influence the orientation of the disc. Rotor design, and therefore the selection of aerodynamic qualities, has to take this and many other things in to account. The concept of a "stalled" disc is interesting, but is so much more complicated than the concept of a stalled wing - it certainly doesn't distill straight to the CLmax of each blade independent of RRPM which your initial premise implies.
All I want now is to find out you are Simon Newman or Gareth Padfield - that would be the icing on the cake of the thread!