PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KingAir crash near Chigwell?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2016, 08:14
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was very disappointed to read in the report the way in which a system was employed which appears to have circumvented the normal system of crews always making an appropriate entry in the Tech Log.

In the 1980s I was MD of a similar operation to LEA, although somewhat smaller, and as I was also a licensed engineer I fully appreciated the operational problems that entries in the Tech Log produced. At no time would I have countenanced a system which 'by-passed' the regulatory use of the Tech Log. I found that some crews wrote up items in the Tech Log in such a vague form that it was difficult for engineering to easily isolate the problem so we introduced a system whereby crews were encouraged to drop by engineering at the end of their flying duty in such cases to discuss the problem with an engineer. This also had the benefit of crews getting to know the engineers and strengthening the understanding between them of operational matters. It's a pity that the internet age means that face to face conversations are no longer the norm.