PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA pilots of the future...
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2016, 01:15
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how come all us aviators of my generation ached to get airborne, then to progress to interesting tailwheel types, strip flying, and aeros? We had no 'leaders, ambassadors, evangelists for the cause'. The drive came from within.
Well, yes and no....

Yes, my drive came from within. Aside from my mum teaching me to make balsa models, it was all me. But I was certainly inspired by what other pilots did. They lead, and whether knowingly or not, were ambassadors and evangelists for the cause. As I presented myself to aviation, many inspirational pilots generously mentored me, and were personal ambassadors for aviation. Whatever their motivation, one on one to an eager youngster, they drew me in.

Now drawing me in was pretty straight forward, the only competition to aviation was two black and white TV channels, and caring school teachers who really tried. Aviation won for me, the competition was insignificant.

Now, anyone can watch what they want on all kinds of media, surf the 'net for hours, or "fly" any aircraft type one can imagine, on their computer. Can the very basic panel of a Cub compete with three screens of glass cockpit on your desk? Those three screens are not an hour's drive from home, and they are not cold and damp. And the computer [generally] does not go mechanical after you've arrived, but before you can fly it.

We, the oldtimers, who got here with hardly any other distraction, must now inspire the next generation, and distract them back!