PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA pilots of the future...
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2016, 18:10
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step Turn - I think you have described what this pastime requires - leaders, ambassadors, evangelists for the cause. It is a shame that so few people (general public, students and PPLs) are unaware that much that can be enjoyment that can be gained from some of the less "standard" forms of flight.
So how come all us aviators of my generation ached to get airborne, then to progress to interesting tailwheel types, strip flying, and aeros? We had no 'leaders, ambassadors, evangelists for the cause'. The drive came from within.

It has to, or it won't be sustained to push through all the tough times to achieve those things.

If anything, the received wisdom we faced was the opposite. It was saying 'you have to be a wealthy superman to even consider taking up aviation as a hobby', and for years I believed that. Took me a while to figure out that was bollox, then there was no stopping me!

If there's one message we need to get across to potential young flyers it's just that - that anyone can do it; wealth and super powers are entirely optional.