PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Concern: Am I too old?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2003, 17:11
six-sixty

Location: European Administrative Area (Western District and Islands)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too old?

Hi guys/gals, I'm been flying "planks" for a good few yrs privately but recently had my first helo lesson. It was a TOTALLY Life Changing Experience, and I just HAVE to fly them for a living. I am very seriously considering doing CPL(h), prob starting next summer. Trouble is, I'll be 37 at least by the time I'm done (35 now) .... not young in Pilot years.

I've read similar threads from wannabes, know the ridiculous £ numbers, understand I'll have to sell all my wordly possessions and will probably be poor for rest of my days, AND that noone's even hiring right now... and I STILL want to do it.

Having said that I'm prepared to take my chances, as long as my age won't be a terminal handicap.

Anyone else out there made it at these heady years? Any opinions on the N Sea operators preferences (or not) for such "maturity"?

I'm also talking to a few UK schools... I can see the logic in training in the country you want to fly in and will if I can, BUT how much of a disadvantage are those who train abroad? The £ savings are substantial, but false economy if noone will hire me.

I'd be really grateful for any advice especially from anyone who's been in a similar position.