PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd things seen on the train
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2016, 06:20
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
About four years ago, I saw an uniformed Gp.Captain get on at Bristol Parkway, the station as we know being convenient for a well known M.o.D establishment and alight at Cheltenham.....cattle class.

That, and those lower down the food chain can always been seen in uniform at Motorway services, any day / time of the week.....invariably it has to be said in the queue for Mc Junk et al......so much for healthy eating then..

However, with regard to train travel, it's actually quite easy to ensure you make significant savings IF, you are in a position to book well in advance, are prepared to make some short term personal inconveniences to your journey and have a basic knowledge of the UK's rail network and geography for split ticketing along with being prepared to do some research as to times and routes.

As one passionately opposed to privatisation, it's nice to be able to play the TOC's at their own game and deprive them of revenue.

First is generally a waste of time / money on short journeys other than for a bit of ego massaging of course... but lets face it, £15 (in round figures) Crewe to Glasgow ( cattle ) represents far better value for money. That said, the best I've ever done was Aberdeen -Kings Cross.....£42 single First when it was ECML in public ownershio.