PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2016, 05:10
Harry Wayfarers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is something that I wondered about. The first time an aircraft goes tech on St Helena people are going to become circumspect about wanting their planes going there?
It's a rule of thumb, a four engined aircraft has twice the potential technical problems than those of a two engined aircraft ... although I do much prefer four engines, rather than two engines, when travelling oceanic.

I can just imagine such a, one of the type operator, "Geriatric Jet" going technical on St. Helena, how are the hell are they going to get spares there and within a reasonable cost and timeframe and where are the engineers going to come from ... and what if it needs an engine change, where are the rigs etc. going to come from?

As a P.S. I recall when 'we', at LGW, had a DC10 in need of a bogey of wheels changing in CWL, "How the hell are e going to get wheels, jacks and engineers to CWL?" came the question ... Light heatedly I remarked that there was a (Lease Air/Eastern Airways) DC3 parked out on the tarmac ... Next thing we had chartered a DC3 to rescue a DC10