PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2016, 21:03
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HershamBoys
I remember the 1/2 mile SRA on my Approach Radar validation. I did it on 'Mad Alfonse', the F- twin which used to visit daily during the 1980s. I suspect he hadn't a clue what was going on, because he obviously flew the LOC. I looked at the Trapper, and at the Training Officer, we all smirked, and nothing more was said.....
I suspect that would be F-BPFN from LFPN? You may remember him sliding off the runway in snowy conditions one day? The Fire team got Britannia to loan them a rather ricketty mobile crane to assist the removal of the aircraft. As the crane lifted the Baron, the jib overload hooter was chirping sporadically showing it was right on the lift limit. Suddenly 'Alfonse' lept on to the wing shouting (in an Allo Allo accent), "Hey! Ma fags and ma money"! The jib horn went crazy and the Firemen grappled him off fearing the crane was about to be toppled over! The aircraft then ended up on the grass near the Luton Flight Centre for a while. I believe more damage was done in the lift and move than was done when it ran off the runway.

P.S. I can't remember why the Baron ran off the runway but believe it may have been an undercarriage failure of the port main?