PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet training costs: At which point do the politicians say "enough is enough"?
Old 14th Oct 2016, 15:37
Slipstream86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momo95
Maverick I certainly agree in principle that it is terrible what prices are being charged. This may make me unpopular however I must say I do see (and to a certain extent agree) with the logic that many use when they choose to part with such sums of cash.

Personally, if I had the money, or had means to access the money, I would have a choice to either go to CTC/OAA for example, pay £120,000+, get on an MPL and provided I don't treat it as a holiday camp and pass my exams etc, I'm all but guaranteed a position on the flight deck in 18 months. Further to this, I will have the means (however little) to pay back the cash spent to train.

So at the end of the day, you have spent the cash, and you have gotten the return on that investment that you intended to ... the job. Without which the whole thing is pointless I think you would agree.

Now the other option is to go modular or integrated at a less well known school and be "untagged". This will cost around £50,000 - £60,000 ... obviously a lot cheaper than the method previously discussed. However the thing is there is no agreement attached with anyone. You will join the thousands of other CPL/IR holders banging down the door of operators who just are not interested. Realistically you have Ryanair, CityJet, Norwegian and the odd time Jet2. If you don't pass their assessments, you really are in a pickle. Not many places will take you, and you've just spent £60,000 and have no job. What was the point in training if the whole point of it (to get a job) isn't achieved? And unfortunately many, many people have gone this route and not gotten any job after years of firing CVs everywhere.

So essentially there are two options. Either you spend £120,000+ on an MPL and mitigate the risks of flight training quite significantly and actually end up with a job and have that stress removed ... or spend £60,000 and take your bets.

To those that can afford it, the MPL certainly makes a lot more sense and so I see why they would go down the route when faced with the choice.
Realistically, a modular trained pilot has many many more options than you mentioned there. It's interesting to note that you haven't mentioned a single TP operator in your list...obviously anything that isn't a jet is well beneath you.