PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2016, 15:33
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAT 5,
Would this A330 have been able to roll out of the stall to gain some pitch authority later on as the stall was broken?
Going back to AF 447 Thread No. 9, here is some information of one of the two sim exercises that indicated recovery from a full stall could be possible. The comments on the sim exercise below was done by PJ2, a former A-330 captain, now retired.
In the sim exercises, the SS was held full forward to achieve about 10degND pitch. The THS followed up on the command and returned to about a -3deg position. Recovery took about 40 seconds. (Note for others: I realize the sim cannot replicate full-stall conditions due absence of data but neither is the behaviour completely irrelevant).

For the exercise anyway and from my pov, there was sufficient elevator available to get the nose down, and the job was made easier by the THS following up the SS ND commands.
There was another sim trial which gave basically the same result and there was a analysis of data the indicated AF 447 could have been recovered by pushing the SS forward and holding it.

As I recall from a stall at 35,000 Ft., recovery was achieved around 20-25 thousand feet. As I recall, there was caution at the recovery point to take care in introducing nose up for fear of creating another stall.